Man dead after deputy-involved shooting near Chatfield Reservoir in Jefferson County

Incident started after reckless driver complaint
Posted at 4:11 PM, Sep 21, 2017
and last updated 2017-09-22 01:47:04-04

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. – The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office is investigating a fatal deputy-involved shooting near Chatfield Reservoir Thursday afternoon.

Authorities say a deputy shot and killed a male suspect during a confrontation outside an auto parts store near the intersection of West Chatfield Avenue and South Kipling Avenue around 3:42 p.m.

According to sheriff's office spokesman Mark Techmeyer, the incident started with a complaint of a reckless driver in an Audi sedan on westbound C-470.

The driver of the Audi exited at Kipling and went into an O'Reilly auto parts store in the area. A responding deputy saw the man's car in the parking lot just as the suspect was leaving the store and pulled into the lot. 

The deputy approached the man, who was inside his car at this point, on foot in the parking lot of the auto parts store where a confrontation ensued. The man, whose name and age have not been released, died after the deputy fired a shot during the scuffle. It's not clear if the suspect was armed.

Aerial footage from AIRTRACKER 7 over the scene shortly after the incident showed the Audi sedan with front-end damage on the curb. The vehicle, missing a back window, appeared to have crashed into a tree. The suspect's body was seen inside the vehicle.

Deputies later confirmed the suspect had his foot on the accelerator when he was shot. The suspect's vehicle went across four lanes of traffic before crashing into the tree. 

Watch AIRTRACKER 7 footage streamed live on Facebook:

Deputies have closed off the intersection and are urging drivers to stay away from the area as the investigation is ongoing. The road should reopen later in the evening, the sheriff's office said.

A multi-jurisdictional critical incident response team is interviewing witnesses and the deputy to find out what happened. 

The sheriff's office did not release any other details.