NewsLocal News


City shuts down Denver motel after finding numerous health, safety and fire violations

Motel has only 1 working smoke detector
Posted at 4:26 PM, Sep 27, 2018
and last updated 2018-09-27 21:00:05-04

DENVER — As many as 70 guests at the Western Motor Inn could be impacted after members of Denver’s Motel Task Force found several violations, including only a single-working smoke detector and a visible bed bug infestation.

The task force, compromised of members from multiple city agencies including Denver fire, shut down most of the motel after a follow-up inspection Thursday.

According to a news release from the city, the team found numerous health, safety and fire violations at the property including structural and electrical issues, visible bed bugs, a large, improperly stored propane tank and non-functioning smoke detectors.

"Unfortunately, we identified a lot of violations. A lot of hazardous situations for people that we're living there," said Denver Police Chief Paul Pazen.

The city said because of the action taken by the task force, as many as 70 people could be impacted. City agencies are working with the Red Cross and RTD to assess the needs of residents.

"They don't have a lot of other options on where to go, and so they are vulnerable," said Denver City Attorney Kristin Bronson.

Western Motor Inn is located at 4657 Vasquez Boulevard.

According to the release, city inspectors work with business owners to bring them into compliance. Since its inception in 2013, the task force has only had to shut down one business.