EVERGREEN, Colo. — One person died Tuesday morning in an accidental townhome fire in Evergreen that was likely caused by hot ashes left unattended, according to fire officials.
The fire was reported in the 4000 block of Silver Spruce in Evergreen just after 4 a.m. Tuesday. Evergreen/Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Stacee Martin said neighbors in the area reported smoke alarms going off and smoke coming into their homes from a neighboring townhome.
By the time firefighters arrived, the three-story townhome was fully engulfed in flames and the fire was going through the attic, Martin said.
Firefighters were able to keep the fire from spreading to neighboring homes and neighbors were able to get out safely, she said, though it took several hours for firefighters to put out the blaze due to frigid weather in the early hours of Tuesday.
Later in the day, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office tweeted they were investigating the death of a woman in her 50's who was found within the fire scene.
Evergreen Fire/Rescue tweeted for people to watch for the emergency response near Little Cub Creek and Highway 73. Silver Spruce was down to one lane due to emergency vehicles in the area.
Fire officials determined the fire was accidental in nature and were investigating the area near the wood burning fireplace, Evergreen/Fire Rescue said in a tweet later in the day.
"This is a good reminder to carefully dispose of hot ashes; ensure your fireplace has been professionally cleaned/ inspected; and have working smoke alarms," fire officials said.