Chemical spill in Lafayette sends 22 to hospital

Posted at 6:23 PM, Mar 19, 2016

A total of 22 patients, most of them children, were taken to five different area hospitals following a chemical incident at a Lafayette recreation center pool Saturday afternoon. 

The incident, which was initially reported to be a chlorine gas leak, happened at around 4:10 p.m. in the pool area of the Bob L. Burger Recreation Center. Lafayette Fire Chief David Friedel wouldn't confirm what type of chemical spill took place inside, saying he "didn't know what it was."

Multiple agencies responded to the scene, according to Friedel, and the Boulder County Sheriff's office had a hazmat crew investigating the nature of the incident.

"I didn't hear much about adults being transported. It was mostly children," Friedel said. 

All patrons inside were evacuated and taken to Pioneer Elementary School, which is right next door to the rec center. 

The patients reported symptoms including coughing, nausea and vomiting. No other areas of the center were affected by the chemical incident, according to Friedel. 

While the facility won't be open to the general public yet, those affected by the events were allowed to pick up their belongings from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday. 


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.