NewsFront RangeDenver


One woman killed, another critically injured in Denver stabbing

double stabbing 10100 block of e harvard ave.jpg
Posted at 10:34 PM, Dec 07, 2022
and last updated 2022-12-08 22:30:06-05

DENVER — One woman was killed and another was critically injured in a stabbing in Denver Wednesday morning.

Around 7:48 a.m., Denver 911 received a call about a domestic violence incident at 10150 East Harvard Avenue.

The caller told Denver 911 that Matthew Omara, 37, was at the apartment, which violated a restraining order, according to the probable cause statement. Court records confirm a protection order against Omara was granted in June 2022 in connection with a May assault at the E. Harvard Ave. address. Omara entered a not guilty plea on Dec. 5 and received a PR bond.

Twenty minutes after the initial call, the caller called Denver 911 again and said Omara was armed with a knife and making threats. According to court documents, the caller reported that Omara said he "wanted to kill." A woman was then heard screaming in the background.

At 8:11 a.m., two Denver police officers were inside the building trying to find the right apartment when they encountered a woman walking down the hallway "suffering from a severe injury to her neck," the probable cause statement reads. One officer rendered aid to the woman, while the second followed the victim's blood trail, which led to the apartment. The officer entered the apartment and found a second woman on the floor of the living room, according to court documents. No one else was inside the apartment.

Despite life-saving measures, the woman found in the hallway was pronounced dead at the scene. The woman found in the apartment was taken to the hospital "in critical condition with a poor prognosis," the probable cause statement reads.

The deceased victim was identified Thursday as Taylor Trevino, 20. Her cause of death is from sharp force injuries, and the manner of death was ruled a homicide, according to the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner.

At 8:17 a.m., Denver 911 received a call from 2570 South Dayton Way, which is 0.3 miles away from the apartment complex. Court documents state the 911 caller said a man was attacking workers at the location.

Officers arrived and found Omara being held down by multiple construction workers. One victim was suffering from an injury to his face and an injury to his head.

According to court documents, the victim told authorities Omara asked him if the van parked in the front of the building belonged to him. When the victim said yes, Omara "punched him in the face with a closed fist and then hit him in the head with a rock," the probable cause statement states. Omara was then held down by construction workers.

Omara was arrested for investigation of first-degree murder, first and second-degree assault and first-degree attempted murder. The Denver District Attorney's Office will make the final determination of charges, Denver police said.

Criminal records also show Omara was found guilty of theft and attempted trespass in April 2019, and he also plead guilty for theft for another incident in Loveland in 2019.