A non-insured driver hit me. Now what?

Posted at 11:34 AM, Mar 29, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-29 13:48:30-04

Drivers with car insurance get behind the wheel feeling secure their coverage protects them in case of an accident.

Then, someone who either does not have insurance — or is underinsured — crashes into them.

The scenario is more common than people may think. One in six drivers in Colorado has no insurance or is underinsured, according to Peter W. Berg, Esq. of the Burg Simpson law office. 

How can a driver who is not at fault receive compensation from someone who is not insured or doesn’t have adequate coverage to handle medical bills, lost wages and repair expenses? It can be a frightening thought for an accident victim facing a fast-growing pile of bills.

What is Colorado driving insurance law?

Colorado state law requires vehicle owners to have a “minimal amount of insurance” in case of an accident. This includes:

· $25,000 per person for bodily injury

· $50,000 per accident for bodily injury

· $15,000 per accident for property damage

Despite this, many people allow their insurance to lapse because they can’t afford to pay the premiums. Or, if they have insurance, it doesn’t have the level of coverage needed to pay the necessary expenses resulting from the accident.

However, state law also mandates all car insurance agents offer uninsured/underinsured motorists coverage to drivers when they purchase a policy. Even though drivers are not required to purchase it, Burg strongly recommends adding it to a policy. (Note: drivers must submit a written waiver refusing the coverage to the insurance company.)

What is uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage?

Uninsured and Underinsured coverage protects insured drivers involved in an accident where the driver has no insurance or not enough insurance to cover expenses incurred from the incident.

It is important to note that this coverage is only valid if the uninsured/underinsured driver is legally designated as “at fault” for the accident.

Colorado law stipulates the following minimum amount of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, according to

· $25,000 per person for uninsured/underinsured motorist

· $50,000 per accident for uninsured/underinsured motorist

This insurance also protects victims of a “hit and run” or an accident with a “phantom vehicle,” according to

If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, make sure to find an attorney with the experience to maneuver through this type of insurance claim and knows your rights. The lawyers of Burg Simpson have years of experience with these cases and know how to evaluate the injuries and damages you’re entitled to after an accident.

To contact an attorney or to find more information about Burg Simpson, visit their official website.