DENVER - Now is the time to start preparing your home for winter and Denver7 is looking at things you can do at your apartment or house to save money on your heating bills.
Doing simple stuff around your home can save you money. Here are some ideas you can start to do now:
- Keep your air filters clean. Changing your air filters once a month to reduce your heating cost by 5 percent.
- Look into getting a window sealing kit. They can be found at most local home improvement stores and can help you save more than $40.
- Improve insulation in walls, crawl spaces, floors and heating ducts. That can save you upwards of 10 percent on your monthly energy bill.
Here are no-cost ideas during the winter months:
- Let the sunlight in by opening the blinds during the day, but make sure to close them at night.
- Set your thermostat between 65-70 degrees while home and 58 degrees while away.
- Use your ceiling fan by turning it clockwise, so warm air gets trapped near the ceiling and will be forced down.
Xcel Energy can come to your home and help you make your home more energy efficient. Click here to learn more.
If you're looking for help on your heating bills this winter, here are a list of programs in Colorado that may help:
Denver Energy Assistance Programs
Arapahoe County Assistance Programs