Mom dies after mobile home fire in Adams County

Posted at 12:05 PM, Feb 05, 2016
and last updated 2016-02-05 19:44:41-05

In a preliminary ruling, the Adams County coroner's office said it appears a 55-year-old mother died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a mobile home fire last week.

However, Troylean Myers' manner of death remains under investigation, the coroner's office said in a statement Friday. 

The intense fire was reported at 12:49 p.m. on Jan. 26 at a mobile home park at 1616 E. 78th Ave, fire officials said. Neighbors told Denver7 they came outside to find 20-foot flames shooting from the mobile home.

Two men escaped from the mobile home with minor injuries. But first-responders had to pull Myers from the home and resuscitate her.

A friend told Denver7 that Myers was brain dead after a doctor said she was deprived of oxygen for at least five minutes. She died about 5:30 a.m. Saturday at Northern Suburban Medical Center after she was removed from life support, the friend said.

Adams County sheriff's spokesman, Sgt. Jim Morgen said an arson investigator has ruled the fire was accidental, but the agency isn't releasing the specific cause of the fire yet.

Morgen said there were inaccurate rumors about a drug-lab explosion causing the fire because, at about the same time, there was a separate 911 call about the remnants of a meth lab being discovered at a foreclosed home in a different location.

Morgen said some news outlets monitoring fire radio traffic mistakenly thought the two incidents were one event. Morgen and Adams County Fire Rescue stressed that the arson investigation found no drug-lab explosion in the deadly mobile home fire.

The friend of Myers, who had a 12-year-old son, said she's wondering how Myers died when her two male roommates escaped without serious injury. The friend, who worked with Myers at a retail renovation firm, did not want her name used.

Morgen said one man jumped through a window to escape. The friend said Myer's son was staying with a relative at the time of the fire.

Friends across the country are mourning the loss of the fun-loving Southern California native.

"She was a truly wonderful person," the friend said.

She said the blond, perpetually-tanned Myers "truly enjoyed life" and was the life of any gathering.