Denver 4/20 rally moving to Red Rocks in June?

Posted at 9:18 PM, Apr 17, 2016

Determined not to let a little snow steal the show, Denver 4/20 organizers are now hashing out a plan for an even bigger celebration in June or July.

They also have high hopes of moving the event from Civic Center Park and hosting the mega smoke-out at a huge venue.

"Who knows,” said Robert Corry, attorney for the Denver 4/20 rally. “Maybe Red Rocks, Sports Authority Field, Coors Field, Fidler's Green, Infinity Park, Dick’s Sporting Goods Park."

The annual marijuana festival was canceled Saturday because of heavy, wet snow in Denver.         

"Even though God loves marijuana, he decided to create snow that day," said Corry. "We're definitely going to hold a make-up rally or a concert somewhere. There's no question."

Those in charge of Denver's 4/20 celebration met in a downtown law office Sunday to toke up over some cookies and coffee and plan the next big thing.

"It might be a blessing in disguise because when we do reschedule, we've got a couple more months lead time. We can promote this," Corry said.

Some pot shops said the snow snuffed out much of their business over the weekend.

“We stocked up, expecting it to be busy all weekend and through this Wednesday,” said Jamie Perino, owner of Euflora marijuana shops. “It has been a normal to slower-than-normal weekend.”

But business wasn't the only thing hurting over the weekend.

John Hickerson and his pals from Indiana were planning to go to the Civic Center rally.

"It was kind of a bummer, but our flight got canceled into Denver yesterday because of weather,” said Hickerson. “So we ended up not missing anything because the event was canceled as well.”

Organizers said one of their headline acts was unable to make it to Denver Saturday, and some vendors were encouraging them to postpone also. “Because they thought maybe the crowd totals would be lower," Corry said.

Corry said 90 percent of those who were planning to attend the rally were understanding of the postponement, while the other 10 percent was upset.

He said there were also some collateral benefits to postponing Saturday. Civic Center Park didn’t suffer any damage. Had there been thousands of people out there Saturday, along with all the snow, the lawn could have been a mess.

“We want to be good partners with our friends in Denver,” said Corry.

In terms of legal issues, organizers said an event at a venue like Sports Authority Field would likely require participants to have an event ticket and they must 21 and older. 


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.