NewsLocal News


Three people hospitalized, dozens displaced after fire breaks out at Arapahoe County condominiums

Temporary shelter activated at the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds
Club Valencia Condominiums fire_Nov 3 2022
Posted at 12:57 PM, Nov 03, 2022
and last updated 2022-11-04 13:54:27-04

ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. — Dozens of residents were displaced and three people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries after a fire broke out at a condominium complex in Arapahoe County early Thursday afternoon.

Firefighters with South Metro Fire Rescue, along with firefighters from the Denver and Aurora fire departments, responded to the blaze at the Club Valencia Condominiums, off S. Parker Road and south of the Fairmount Cemetery shortly after 12:20 p.m., according to a South Metro Fire Rescue spokesperson.

arapahoe county fire nov 3 2022

When firefighters arrived, they spotted a second and third-floor balcony fully engulfed with flames.

As firefighters worked to slow the spread of the fire, sheriff's deputies worked to rescue as many residents as they could, according to South Metro Fire Rescue. Many residents were forced onto their balconies due to the heavy smoke. From there, firefighters helped them to safety using ground ladders.

More than 15 people were evaluated by paramedics, and three were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, according to SMFR.

At least 50 firefighters responded to the scene, the spokesperson said.

Fire officials do not yet know where the fire started or what caused it. An investigation into the origin of the fire is now underway.

In total, approximately 85 units were displaced by the fire and the Colorado Red Cross is helping those residents, a South Metro Fire Rescue official said in a tweet late Thursday afternoon. An evacuation shelter has been opened at the east side of the Arapahoe County Fairgrounds, located at 25690 East Quincy Avenue in Aurora. Volunteers are standing by at the shelter.

The Arapahoe County Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, has set up a Fire Fund to help residents of Club Valencia. You can donate by clicking here.

This isn't the first fire at the Club Valencia Condominiums. In early 2017, investigators said an unattended stove led to a fire that injured a woman, her two small children, and two sheriff’s deputies.