Firefighters warn: Clear snow from your vents

Posted at 6:19 AM, Mar 25, 2016
and last updated 2016-03-25 08:28:22-04

South Metro Fire Rescue Authority is warning residents to clear the snow from the vents outside their homes.

Firefighters said they are seeing an increase in calls for the smell of natural gas.

That may be because snow drifts outside many homes are covering the exhaust vents.

South Metro Fire Rescue recommends you walk around your home and find the exhaust vents, likely just five to six inches above ground, and clear the snow around them.

They also recommend buying a carbon monoxide detector to monitor levels inside your home.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.