NewsLocal News


Englewood police shoot, kill man after brother allegedly fired at officers

It’s the second time officers discharged their weapons in less than a week
englewood police shooting grove street.png
Posted at 6:26 AM, Jul 25, 2022

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Englewood police shot and killed a man who was the brother of a man who was firing at officers while they responded to a disturbance at a home Sunday night.

Officers with the Englewood Police Department were called to a home in the 5000 block of South Grove Street around 7:39 p.m. on a report of a disturbance involving family members. When they arrived, the department said someone inside the home began firing at officers. Officers fired back at the person who was shooting at them, according to the department. A 22-year-old man was killed in the shooting, police said.

On Tuesday, the Arapahoe County Coroner's Office identified the man as Matthew Neal Mitchell.

No officers were injured. The officers who fired their weapons have been placed on administrative leave as part of department policy.

In an update Monday morning, the Englewood Police Department said Phillip L. Blankenship, 29, was arrested "for his role in shooting at police officers." He's been booked into the Arapahoe County Detention Center on a charge of attempted first-degree murder. Police did not provide further clarity on if the 22-year-old who was killed had also fired a weapon at officers.

The 18th Judicial District’s Critical Incident Response Team is investigating the shooting.

Englewood police said Tuesday the department was not releasing any further information about the shooting. Blankenship is set to be formally charged on Friday.

Englewood police shoot, kill man who fired at officers

This is the second time in less than a week that an Englewood officer discharged their duty weapon. On Thursday, an Englewood officer fired at a man fleeing an alleged burglary in the 2900 block of South Umatilla Street when the man almost hit another officer with the stolen SUV he was driving, according to police. The man got away, but has since been taken into custody. The department confirmed the man had not been injured from the shooting.

This is a developing story and will be updated.