NewsLocal News


Suspect in custody after double shooting leaves 1 dead, another injured in LoDo neighborhood

Police said suspect was 'headed for the mountains' after shooting
Michael Close.jpg
June 10, 2020 shooting on N. Huron
Posted at 12:16 PM, Jun 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-06-15 13:30:31-04

DENVER — A suspect was taken into custody following a double shooting that left one dead and another wounded at an apartment complex in the 2900 block of N. Huron Street near Coors Field.

The victims are a man and a woman, but police would not identify the fatal victim. However, neighbors believe a woman died at the scene. The condition of the second victim is not known. They were taken to a hospital for treatment.

The suspect, 36-year-old Michael Close, was taken into custody in Jefferson County. He is being held for investigation of first-degree murder and aggravated assault.

Police received several calls about shots being fired around 11:42 a.m. Wednesday. Upon arrival, they discovered the two victims and began actively searching for a suspect.

The scene was very active as they worked to locate a suspect. Denver7 cameras captured police and agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives taking tactical positions around the complex.

During the investigation, police learned that Close was "headed for the mountains," DPD Division Chief Joe Montoya said.

"We coordinated with our neighboring partners that were in that area, and they were able to contact the individual who we believe is our suspect and they have taken him into custody," Montoya said.

Jefferson County authorities later contacted Close who they believe is the suspect off of U.S. 285 and made an arrest.

Police have not released a possible motive for the shooting at this time. However, police said they believe Close lives in the area where the shooting took place.

A resident at the complex, Daniel Kaufman told Denver7 he initially mistook the gunfire for construction noise.

"At first, there was construction behind you, and I thought that was the sound," he said. "After the third clank, I ran outside. I saw a young woman sort of laying over the wall."

Kaufman said he and another neighbor rushed to the woman's aid and tried to help the other victim.

"We both applied pressure to the gunshot wound," Kaufman said. "From there, there’s another gentleman down the alley that has been, that was shot multiple times and bleeding very heavily. I took off my shirt and put pressure on the wound. All I was saying was, 'stay with us! Stay with us!'"

It's not clear if the victims were together or connected in any way.

Streets were closed off to traffic during the response but later reopened. Police will be on scene for several hours as they collapse the perimeter.

RTD has also suspended rail service in the area. The A, B, and G Lines into and out of Union Station are temporally suspended until further notice.