NewsKelsey Berreth Case


'Possible tooth fragment' to be tested for DNA in Patrick Frazee murder case

Patrick Frazee formal charges hearing
Posted at 7:58 AM, Jun 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-06-18 09:58:31-04

(CNN) -- A potential tooth fragment will be tested for DNA evidence in the case of a Colorado man accused of beating to death the mother of his child with a baseball bat, a prosecutor said Friday.

Patrick Frazee, 32, faces murder and other charges in connection with the disappearance of his fiancée, Kelsey Berreth. She went missing last Thanksgiving Day near Woodland Park, a city between Denver and Colorado Springs. Authorities have said they believe Frazee killed the 29-year-old but her body has not been found.

A state court judge ruled Friday that the "possible tooth fragment," which was "located in the search of the defendant's property," will undergo a consumptive DNA test, prosecutor Jennifer Viehman told reporters outside the court house in Cripple Creek.

Consumptive testing relates to evidence that would be consumed or destroyed in the testing process, Viehman said.

The judge agreed with the prosecution that the testing can move forward according to the policies of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation lab without changes that had been proposed by defense attorneys. An expert for the defense will observe the testing.

Defense lawyers declined comment after the hearing.

READ MORE: Affidavit details what happened in days leading up to, after Kelsey Berreth’s death

Frazee, who has pleaded not guilty, faces two counts of first-degree murder, three counts of solicitation to commit murder in the first degree, two counts of a crime of violence and charges of tampering with a body. His trial has been set for October 28.

Frazee has been in custody since his arrest in December.

Frazee's girlfriend, Idaho nurse Krystal Lee Kenney, told investigators he killed Berreth by wrapping a sweater around her head and bashing her with a baseball bat, according to Gregg Slater, an agent for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation.

Authorities spent nearly two months searching for Berreth's body in a landfill in Fountain, Colorado. Kenney had told police that Frazee disposed of Berreth's remains either at a dump or in a river.

Police suspended the search in April after they did not find any remains or evidence linked to Berreth's death.

For full Denver7 coverage of this case, click here.

The CNN Wire™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.