NewsKelsey Berreth Case


Patrick Frazee murder trial: Berreth's coworkers describe her as quiet, sweet, loving to her newborn

CBI: Tooth tested positive for female human DNA
frazee trial day 8.jpg
Posted at 1:32 PM, Nov 13, 2019
and last updated 2019-11-20 14:04:21-05

CRIPPLE CREEK, Colo. — Multiple people who worked with Kelsey Berreth before she disappeared from Woodland Park in November 2018 described her as private, kind and very loving toward her 1-year-old daughter. This contradicts what other witnesses claimed Patrick Frazee, her fiancé who's accused of killing her, told them.

One of the coworkers testified that Berreth told her Frazee wasn't treating her well at one point.

Also on Wednesday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation forensic scientist who worked on the case testified that the blood found inside Berreth's townhome was most likely hers and that a possible tooth fragment tested positive for female human DNA.

The prosecution also brought forward one of Frazee's friends, who testified that Frazee said Berreth had given him custody of their daughter, and a handful of authorities who were involved in the investigation, including two experts who had already testified.

Before the court broke for lunch, Fourth Judicial District Judge Scott Sells said he's cautiously optimistic that closing arguments could start Friday afternoon. He noted they are far ahead in the trial process.

Sells also gave Frazee a courtesy advisory that he has the right to testify. He replied, "Yes, sir." The judge said the prosecutors can cross-examine him and the jury can ask questions. He also has the right to remain silent, Sells said. It's not yet clear if he will choose to testify or not.

Frazee, 33, of Florissant, is accused of murdering Berreth, his 29-year-old fiancée, on Thanksgiving Day 2018 in Woodland Park. He is also accused of soliciting Krystal Lee Kenney, an Idaho resident whom he had dated, to help him carry out the murder.

He faces eight charges, including first-degree murder, tampering with a deceased body and solicitation. While he pleaded not guilty to the charges, Kenney took a plea deal, pleading guilty to a tampering charge and agreeing to testify at Frazee's trial. You can read about her testimony here and here.

READ MORE: Timeline of events leading up to, after Kelsey Berreth's death

Prosecutors decided in July to not file a motion in pursuit of capital punishment, meaning Frazee will not face the death penalty in this case if he is found guilty.

Here is Denver7's coverage from previous days of the trial:

Day 1 (Nov. 1, 2019): Prosecutor calls Patrick Frazee 'calculated manipulator,' but defense says 'facts don't make sense'
Day 2 (Nov. 4, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Family, police describe suspicions after Kelsey Berreth’s disappearance
Day 3 (Nov. 5, 2019): Patrick Frazee trial: Defense questions timeline, lack of black tote in surveillance photos
Day 4 (Nov. 6, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Krystal Kenney recounts cleanup of Kelsey Berreth murder scene
Day 5 (Nov. 7, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Defense questions why Kenney never alerted anyone to murder plot
Day 6 (Nov. 8, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: ‘I figured out a way to kill her,' friend testifies Frazee told him
Day 7 (Nov. 12, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Frazee's friend testified he said Berreth was 'never coming back'
Day 8 (Nov. 13, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Berreth's coworkers describe her as quiet, sweet, loving to her newborn
Day 9 (Nov. 14, 2019): Frazee trial: CBI agent says he doesn't know where investigation would be without Kenney's testimony
Day 10 (Nov. 15, 2019): Patrick Frazee murder trial: Ex-inmate says Frazee asked him to kill witnesses, including Kenney
Day 11 (Nov. 18, 2019): Did Patrick Frazee murder Kelsey Berreth? Jury deliberating following closing arguments
Day 11 (Nov. 18, 2019): Jury finds Patrick Frazee guilty of murdering fiancée Kelsey Berreth last Thanksgiving

Teller County Waste manager: There was no trash at Berreth’s home around Thanksgiving

At 8:30 a.m., Judge Sells returned to the courtroom and prosecutors called Stephanie Howerton to the witness stand. She has been an office manager for Teller County Waste for two years.

She said she has records for trash pickup at Berreth’s home.

Prosecutor Beth Reed showed a printout of the trash schedule on a slideshow in the courtroom. Typically, Berreth’s trash was picked up on Fridays, but with the Thanksgiving holiday, it was pushed back to Saturday. According to the schedule, trash hadn’t been put out that week or the following week. Howerton said trash wasn’t picked up from her residence until Dec. 21, 2018.

Berreth’s coworker at Doss calls Frazee after she goes missing

The state then called Jennifer Barks, who worked as a human resources director for seven years at Doss Aviation, including in November and December of 2018.

Barks said she knew Berreth through the hiring process and noted her because they had very few female pilots. She said she was excited when women were hired as pilots.

Barks worked alongside Melissa Russ, her human resources business partner, who also worked with Berreth. Russ was interviewed by the prosecutors after Barks.

Barks said she assisted Berreth with leaving work when she took a leave of absence in August 2018.

Barks confirmed the Woodland Park Police Department contacted her in December 2018. She knew about the investigation at the time, so she anticipated the phone call, she said. She recalled that police asked about employment dates and benefits, and wanted to understand how benefits would change for someone moving from full-time to part-time. Berreth moved to part-time work in the fall of 2018.

She told police that Frazee was Berreth’s emergency contact. On Dec. 3 — a day after Berreth was reported missing — Barks called Frazee to ensure he knew she was missing, she said. She said Frazee asked if somebody could “take the baby,” which prompted Barks to ask about Kaylee, the 1-year-old girl Frazee and Berreth had had in October 2017. Frazee said the baby was fine. During the conversation, Frazee claimed that the Woodland Park Police Department kept calling him, so he put Barks on hold multiple times, Barks said. When they were able to talk, Frazee said he and Berreth had broken up because she wanted space, Barks said.

She said he also told her that Berreth had a drinking problem and went to rehab. Barks said she challenged him on this comment because pilots at Doss Aviation work in close quarters and a coworker would have spoken up. In court, she said Frazee didn’t respond to this.

She said she explained that Berreth had taken a leave of absence in August 2018 for a medical reason.

Frazee never offered any speculations on what happened to Berreth, Barks said.

Prosecutor Jennifer Viehman asked if Frazee said anything about Berreth running off to get herself “healed up,” which Barks confirmed she did recall.

When Viehman asked about the alcohol abuse that Frazee had mentioned, Barks said she was never notified about Berreth having any issues with alcohol.

After Berreth went missing, Barks looked at Berreth’s life insurance policy and noticed that Berreth didn’t have a beneficiary listed. Frazee had been listed as her beneficiary previously, but Doss Aviation was switching ownership — and therefore, benefits — at the time and she had not yet completed the necessary paperwork. Doss Aviation was acquired by L3 Harris.

During the cross-examination, Ashley Fridovich Porter confirmed that Barks always takes notes during phone calls. But Porter pointed out that she told special agents that she didn’t take notes on the call with Frazee.

The jury asked if Berreth was ever randomly tested for drugs or alcohol. Barks said no.

Human relations employee helped Berreth prepare to move to part-time

The state then called Barks’ business partner Melissa Russ to the stand. Russ now works in human resources for a government contractor. In her position, she said she took care of employee issues, hiring and helped them with benefits.

Russ said she hired Berreth around September 2017 and she was required to take a drug and alcohol screening at the time.

She worked with Berreth through her orientation and when she took leave for her baby in October 2017. She also helped Berreth transition back to work after her maternity leave.

Russ said she helped Berreth with her benefits as well. In November 2018, she said they had discussions about moving to a part-time position and how it’d impact Berreth’s benefits. Berreth started some paperwork in November 2018 for this, Russ said.

Part-time employees don’t get benefits at Doss Aviation, Russ said, and she notified Berreth via email of this change because she assumed Berreth wouldn’t want to lose medical benefits for her and her daughter. Berreth was concerned about not having medical insurance for her daughter, Russ said. Ultimately, she decided the benefits Berreth had would stay in place through the end of 2018. She said she doesn’t recall if she was able to tell Berreth about this update since it was approved after Thanksgiving.

The defense did not have any questions, but a juror asked why Berreth wanted to move to part-time status. Russ said she never got a specific answer, but that she’d only inquired about going part-time after returning from maternity leave.

Viehman confirmed it was not common for flight instructor to switch between full-time and part-time.

Frazee’s friend: He said Berreth gave him custody of baby, she wouldn’t check in for months

Anissa Smith was the next witness the state called to the witness stand. She has lived in Florissant her whole life and used to rodeo with Frazee. She said she’s known him since she was 8 years old.

Smith said Frazee leased land from her grandparents for his cattle. He’d also shoe and trim their horses, Smith said. She said she was sometimes on the property when he was working.

Viehman asked Smith about any times when Frazee mentioned he had a daughter. Smith said Frazee did not mention Kaylee “before this,” and said she thinks he first mentioned Kaylee in October 2018. She said she remembered that she was shocked and tried to ask more about Kaylee. Frazee told her he had picked her up at the hospital on the day she was born, she said.

“He just said her mom (Berreth) told him to come pick her up,” Smith said.

She said he had talked about Berreth while they were shoeing horses, so she was familiar with her name.

When Frazee told Smith about his daughter, he also claimed that he had full custody of the child, Smith said. She recalled that Frazee had told her Berreth had signed over her rights when Kaylee was born. He told her that Berreth wouldn’t reach out for weeks or months at a time to check on Kaylee, Smith said.

She said she met Kaylee when Frazee brought her to Smith's grandparents’ home in early November 2018. She said she didn’t see any signs of abuse or neglect at that time.

Smith said she was first interviewed by a district attorney’s office investigator on Dec. 21.

Former police commander says they never found information suggesting Berreth was alive

The state then recalled up former Woodland Park Police Department Commander Christopher Adams. He also testified on the third day of the trial. He now works for the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

He was a lead investigator with the police department on this case.

Prosecutor Beth Reed asked him to discuss the efforts the department made to find Berreth after she was reported missing. Adams listed them out:
· They sent out press releases to the media to spread the word
· Berreth’s family met with the press to explain the situation and describe Kelsey Berreth
· Police looked at bank records, cell phone records and social media records
· Police searched Berreth's townhome
· Police opened up a tip line (which received between 500 and 600 tips, Adams said, and many were followed up on. Some people did not call back. Some calls were from psychics, he said.)

Adams said according to Kenney’s testimony, Frazee had discussed putting Berreth’s remains in a river or a landfill, which led investigators to search the Midway Landfill near Fountain. Adams said they didn’t find anything substantial at the landfill and the search ended in mid-April.

Reed asked if Adams knew anything about EVRAZ Steel, a steel manufacturer, and Adams said he learned of the name about a month ago in relation to the silver trash can that found was near the trough where Frazee allegedly burned Berreth’s body. A ranch hand previously described the trash can and its placement on the fifth day of the trial.

Adams also confirmed that he was not aware of Frazee and Berreth's child custody exchanges at the police station in Woodland Park. He said they never received any calls for service from either of them before, he said.

Throughout the investigation, he never found information to suggest that Berreth was alive, he said.

Reed then asked about the gun that Berreth had in her possession before her disappearance. Frazee is accused of giving it to Kenney to take with her back to Idaho, where she allegedly gave it to her friend, Mark Pearson, to hold onto. Adams said they were able to collect the gun from Pearson and traced it. They found the original purchaser was Berreth and that she bought it in 2014.

District attorney investigator got buccal swabs from Kaylee

The state then recalled another witness who had already testified: Stephanie Courtney. She’s an investigator with the 4th Judicial District Attorney’s Office. She previously testified about surveillance video showing Frazee and his truck at a Walmart and ATM, as well as Berreth at the Woodland Park Safeway.

She was also tasked with getting buccal swabs from Kaylee on Dec. 21, which Courtney said was not an easy thing to do. She’d never had to take a buccal sample from a 1-year-old before.

“I think she thought I was going to give her candy... She bit down on it and didn’t want to let go,” Courtney said in court.

She turned the sample over to the Woodland Park Police Department, which eventually gave it to the CBI.

Work friend recalls discussions with Berreth around time of alleged murder

Robert Hill was the next witness prosecutors called up to the stand. He’s a flight instructor at L3 Harris, which acquired Doss Aviation. He said he’s worked as a flight instructor since February 2017 and got his pilot license in 2010.

He started at Doss in November 2017 and went through the training program, which he said requires long hours and studying 12 hours a day. He called it “intensive” and “the hardest training program I’ve ever done.”

Hill said he got to know Berreth through the training program, but knew her from a previous job at Springs Aviation out of Falcon, which is northeast of Colorado Springs. They went through part of the program together — the spring and summer of 2018. He remembered talking about their time at Springs Aviation, which they enjoyed but didn’t get many students to work with.

Hill said they were fairly close, but not romantically. He said he thought Frazee was Berreth’s husband and that she had talked about him at work. He knew Frazee was Kaylee’s father, he said.

Berreth had mentioned that she didn’t get along well with Frazee’s mother, Sheila Frazee.

Once, she came into work and seemed stressed and when Hill asked why, Berreth replied that Frazee had been “acting like a dick” that day.

Hill said he didn’t know much about Berreth and Frazee’s custody arrangement, but he knew Frazee brought Kaylee to work with him. Berreth never mentioned giving up custody of her, Hill said. He met Kaylee a few times when Berreth would bring her into work when she was about 1 year old. He said she slept most of the time and he didn’t see any indication that she was being abused.

On Nov. 20, 2018 — two days before Thanksgiving — Reed and Berreth had dinner together at a Chili’s. They talked about work and their Thanksgiving plans, he said. Hill asked if she would bring Frazee to the company’s Christmas party and Berreth said no because Frazee didn’t “like wearing khakis or slacks,” Hill said. He said he thought this was odd.

Hill said when Berreth came into work one time, she said a random woman had come to her house with a coffee. Hill recalled talking with Berreth about the strange encounter. Hill said he didn’t remember if Berreth told him that she drank the coffee.

In a previous testimony, Kenney had said she brought Berreth a coffee that was supposed to have something in it that would kill her, per Frazee's request. Kenney testified that she didn't follow through with this plan, but did give Berreth an untouched coffee from Starbucks.

In August 2018, Berreth took time off to go to a stress rehab facility, Hill said. He didn’t remember how long she was gone.

When asked, Hill said he had no indication that Berreth was using drugs or alcohol. In the time he got to know her, she never drank, he said.

When he said this, Frazee scribbled notes on paper in the courtroom.

During the cross-examination, defense attorney Porter asked for more details on their relationship. Hill confirmed their friendship grew as they worked together.

He said he assumed Berreth and Frazee were married because Berreth told people they were. He confirmed he found out later that that wasn’t true.

Flight instructor: Berreth said Frazee wasn’t treating her well

Prosecutors called Carolyn Sharp to the witness stand next. She is a flight instructor at Doss and has worked there for four years.

She said Doss provides initial flight training for active U.S. Air Force pilots. They have about 200 students now, with more on the way, and fly anywhere from two to three times a day with the student, she said. They typically spend about three hours with each student, depending on the mission that day.

She said it is common for them to fly multiple times with the same student.

The instructor and student are in close quarters, especially in the plane, and they have call signs. Sharp said hers is “Razor,” which is a play on her last name. She said she can tell what students had for breakfast, if they have alcohol issues, if they haven’t done laundry and more — they are that close during the training.

She said she got to know Berreth through work. She offered Berreth her guest room so she could stay there during the week and not commute every day.

Sharp said new hire training takes extra work for a civilian who doesn’t come from USAF training. When she first took the job, Berreth took up Sharp's offer, and stayed with her during the week. She'd go home on weekends. Sharp said she knew Berreth lived around Woodland Park or Florissant. Sharp said Berreth was pregnant at this time and knew Frazee as her boyfriend.

When Berreth was staying with Sharp, she’d call Frazee almost every night, Sharp said. She said she didn’t eavesdrop on their calls, so she didn’t know what they talked about.

Sharp said she noted changes in Berreth’s body language after these calls — it seemed that things were “not OK,” Sharp said. When she asked about it, Berreth was quiet and would say she didn’t want to bring Sharp into it. Berreth briefly mentioned Frazee wasn’t treating her well at one point, Sharp said.

She stayed in Sharp’s guest room during the workweek for about six weeks.

At one point, Berreth had to stop training because she couldn’t comfortably sit in the cockpit with her pregnancy. Sharp said Berreth ended her training just before the second part of that instruction.

After Kaylee was born and Berreth returned to work, Sharp saw Berreth almost daily. Sharp kept a photo of Kaylee from when she was born on her fridge, she said. Berreth talked about the newborn all the time, she said. Sharp met Kaylee several times when they were doing administrative duties at work, she said. Berreth had called beforehand to make sure it was OK to bring Kaylee into work and Sharp had replied that it was fine, as long as she didn’t mind others holding the newborn.

She described Kaylee as a beautiful, well-behaved and happy baby. She didn’t notice any signs of abuse. Berreth loved being a mom, Sharp said.

“What a woman of strength to be able to do that," Sharp said. “I don’t know if I could.”

Prosecutor Viehman asked if Sharp ever had concerns about Berreth drinking or using drugs. Sharp said no. She added that she never saw any signs of that — only stress tied to being a new mother working in a high-pressure job.

“Would Kelsey have ever left Kaylee?” Viehman asked.

“No,” Sharp replied.

She said Berreth was private, quiet, reserved but sweet during the whole time she knew her.

“I always really liked her,” she said.

Court broke for a recess at 10 a.m.

Two more of Berreth’s coworkers testify

Prosecutors called two more of Berreth's coworkers to the stand Wednesday morning after the recess — around 10:18 a.m.

Peter Sergejev, a flight instructor at Doss Aviation who worked with Berreth, testified that he was close with Berreth and they talked often, venting to each other and having coffee from time to time.

Before Thanksgiving, Berreth told Sergejev that she didn't have many plans for the holiday and would maybe make a turkey, he said.

Sergejev said he met Kaylee two times and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary about the child. Berreth would share updates about her daughter growing up and learning to crawl and told Sergejev that she liked being a mother, he said. Berreth had told him about going to the rehab facility in August 2018, he said.

Frazee's attorneys declined to cross-examine Sergejev and he was excused after just several minutes on the stand.

Mark Maryak, the chief pilot for initial training at Doss Aviation, testified that Berreth had successfully completed the Doss training program. He said most instructors have 20 years of USAF experience and even they call it "grueling."

He said that he never had any concerns that Berreth was abusing alcohol or drugs. Doss instructors specifically look for those type of issues, Maryak said.

Maryak said Berreth told him that her leave of absence from work in August 2018 was a rest program for possible chronic fatigue. When she returned to work about a week or two later, she seemed more rested, Maryak said. He said they regularly remind their pilots how important a good night of sleep is.

He last saw Berreth on Nov. 21 – a day she flew – and he didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, he said. He said he believes she was scheduled to fly the following Monday, Nov. 26.

On Dec. 2 — the day Berreth's mother called Woodland Park requesting a welfare check for her daughter — Maryak tried calling Berreth three times. She didn't answer, he said.

Frazee's attorneys also declined to cross-examine Maryak and he was excused after about 10 minutes on the stand.

CBI forensic serologist explains DNA evidence found at Berreth townhome

Lindsay Roup, a forensic serologist for the CBI, testified about the DNA evidence collected from Berreth's townhome and how the items were tested.

She said she examines fluid like blood or semen, which is separate than DNA analysis.

Roup said the toilet in the home tested positive for blood, along with other areas of the bathroom: Swabs from the wall, under the towel rack, the sink, the side of the tub and the door.

The tests of other items – a metal file, the inside of a washer machine and a bottle of bleach – did not indicate the presence of blood.

The court broke for an early lunch about 11:30 a.m. Testimony was expected to resume about 12:30 p.m. Before everybody left, Judge Sells said he will meet with both attorneys to discuss an upcoming witness off-the-record.

Previous townhome owner testifies about blood in home

The early afternoon testimony centered on the blood discovered inside Berreth's townhome — and who it belonged to.

Sue Gorney, the previous owner of Berreth's townhome, took the stand after court resumed on Wednesday afternoon. Gorney testified that she had lived in the townhome primarily alone for 26 years, aside from having a roommate for the first five months. She sold it to Berreth's parents, who bought it for her, on May 11, 2018.

She met Berreth once, she said.

Prosecutor Dan May asked Gorney if she had ever cut herself or bled inside the home. Gorney said yes, explaining that her skin cuts easily if she knocks into things around the house. She said this happened especially while she was moving out of the home last year.

Gorney testified that she remembered wiping up a drop of blood off her while moving, but it was not a lot. Her skin was too thin for band-aids, so she let her cuts air dry and blood would sometimes drip in the house, she said.

Gorney said she was moved out of the home by the end of April and had vacuumed and mopped the floors and wiped down the walls, cabinets and appliances.

Frazee's attorneys did not question Gorney.

Forensic expert says she's confident tooth fragment was human

Diane France, a forensic anthropologist and adjunt professor at Colorado State University, was called to the stand as an expert in forensic anthropology. She said police have called her hundreds of times to help in cases over the last 35 years.

Her area of expertise is helping determine whether remains are human or not. She said she can usually do this just by looking at a picture. She's testified more than 20 times as an expert in Colorado, she said.

In the Berreth case, NecroSearch International, the company that helped search a landfill for Berreth's body, contacted France. She volunteered and was assigned to analyze anything that could be possible human remains.

France said hundreds of bones were found, but many were chicken bones and none were human.

The CBI also contacted France in the case, asking her to examine a possible human tooth fragment that was found in Berreth's condo. France took pictures of the possible tooth and testified that it certainly looked like one.

Prosecutors then handed France the pictures of the tooth, which appeared to be broken and about 1/5 of an inch. She said it appeared to be a molar. France said she went through "her extensive remains collection" and determined that the tooth was consistent with a human tooth. She said it definitely did not belong to a dog, horse or elk.

During this discussion, Darrell Berreth, Kelsey Berreth's father, leaned forward and listened intently.

Frazee's attorney Adam Stiegerwald cross-examined France and referenced that she had said she was 80 percent confident it was a human tooth. France agreed, but said she did not like putting a percentage on it.

She said a DNA analysis of the tooth could raise her confidence from 80 percent to 100 percent.

When the defense asked, France testified that the broken tooth appeared to be fractured. She noted that there are a few ways to fracture a tooth, including blunt force trauma and severe light technology.

Prosecutors asked France if there was anything inconsistent with a human tooth in the fragments she saw. She said no. When asked, France said blunt force trauma could involve somebody getting hit with a bat.

CBI forensic scientist: Blood found in townhome was likely Berreth's

Caitlin Rogers, a forensic scientist with the CBI who specializes in DNA analysis, testified about the evidence items that were tested at the CBI's Pueblo lab.

Rogers used what was believed to be Berreth's toothbrush and mouth guard to build a DNA profile for Berreth. When asked, she described DNA as a "molecular footprint" that codes a person's looks and functions.

She said DNA stays on an item until it's destroyed or removed. For example, she said, she believed she could get a DNA profile from somebody who had sat in one of the jury chairs a month ago, possibly even six months ago.

She looked at multiple items as a part of this case, she said. The lab did an analysis on each one. She has 12 reports for each round of analysis, she said, plus a 13th that is all-encompassing. She said this is the most she's ever done for a case.

One hundred and nineteen items were submitted and she tested all but 27, she said.

She used buccal swabs to obtain a DNA profile from Frazee, Kaylee, Cheryl Berreth (Kelsey Berreth's mother), Clint Berreth (Kelsey Berreth's brother) and Gorney, the previous townhome resident. She said she was also provided buccal swabs for Kenney.

She explained that she wanted to have all buccal swabs for people who may have been in contact with the crime scene.

In the analysis of the blood found on the side of Berreth's bath tub, Rogers said her final conclusion, which came on July 10, showed that it was a mixture of two people's DNA. But the blood was much more likely — 46 septillion times more likely — to be Berreth and an unknown individual than two unknown individual, she said.

Rogers also said it was 100,000 times more likely to be Gorney and an unknown person than two unknown people.

When Viehman asked if it was fair to say Berreth was the main contributor to this blood spot, Rogers said yes.

The blood sample from the bathroom toilet was at least 108 septillion times more likely to be from Berreth than someone else, Rogers testified. All of the genetic material in the single-source sample was consistent with Berreth, Rogers said.

About the same high likelihood was applied to the blood sample found on the front fireplace and on the baby gate in the home: Each sample was 100 septillion times more likely to be from Berreth than someone else, Rogers said.

Berreth's family was taking notes attentively during this point in Rogers's testimony.

Court broke after Rogers's testimony and was scheduled to resume shortly before 3 p.m.

CBI scientist: Tooth fragments tested positive for human DNA

After the break, Rogers' testimony continued. She said Berreth's likely DNA was found in the positive blood samples in the home.

Rogers did a presumptive test for blood n the grout on the fireplace tile, which came back positive. She then did a DNA test and her June 21 report showed that the profile was 100 septillion times more likely to belong to Berreth than an unknown, unrelated individual.

Rogers said she also tested red-brown stains on the hardwood floor. The presumptive test came back positive and her July 10 report found that the profile was a two-person mixture. She explained that the mixture is at least 150 quadrillion times more likely to be observed by Berreth and an unknown individual than two unknown individuals. The mixture was at least 36 undecillion (which is a number followed by 36 zeros) times more likely to come from Berreth and Gorney than two other people, she said.

In another testing of a separate area of the hardwood floor, Rogers said she found a mixture of three contributors, including at least one male. She said it's 79 sextillion more likely to have originated from Berreth and two unknown people than three unknown people. And it was seven times mores more likely to have come from Frazee and two unknown people than three unknown people, Rogers said. She said she tested if it could have been Frazee, Berreht and Gorney, and the test came back positive, meaning it was a possibility. Rogers said she concluded that Berreth and Gorney were the two main contributors.

Viehman asked Rogers about her tests on a sample of hay from Nash Ranch. She tried a presumptive blood test, which came back negative. DNA was not detected on the hay, she said.

Prosecutors then asked her about one of the two possible tooth fragments, both of which appeared to have come from where Frazee had allegedly burned Berreth's body. A picture of one was shown on the slideshow. It appeared about half a centimeter wide.

Rogers said she analyzed the fragment, which tested negative for blood and saliva. But a DNA test detected female human DNA, Rogers said. She tried to develop a DNA profile from the fragment, but there wasn't enough DNA available. The remainder of the tooth was sent to the FBI.

Five teeth were found in Frazee's home during a search of the property between early December and late January, according to a search warrant released publicly in March. But these have not been brought up in court as of Thursday and are likely unrelated to the investigation.

In further questioning about the blood found inside Berreth's home, Rogers explained that she tested two chairs — one to the right of the TV stand and one to the left.

The right chair had a DNA mix of three people, including at least one male. The left chair had a mix of two people. She said it was 47 septillion times more likely to originate form Berreth and an unknown person than two unknown people.

A possible blood mark from the front of the couch tested positive. Rogers concluded that it was almost definitely Berreth's blood.

Viehman then asked about additional floorboards that had been submitted for evidence. Rogers said she received a part of he floors from the living room for testing. It tested positive for blood and the DNA mixture showed two possible contributors. She said she concluded it belonged to Berreth and Gorney.

She tested another part of the hardwood floors, which she noted had red-brown staining in places. She swabbed in multiple places. The first one showed a mix of three people's DNA. The second one showed a mix of two people.

Another section of the floor tested positive for blood and two people's DNA. It was at least 22 undecillion times more likely to be from Berreth and Gorney than two unknown people, Rogers said. Another piece of the floorboard proved similar results: It was 4.4 quattrodecillion times more likely to have come from the two women than two unknown people.

In another sample of the hardwood floor, Rogers said she found moderate support of Frazee's DNA. It was mixed with two other people's, she said.

Prosecutors showed one last piece of the hardwood floor, which contained seven parts. She took a sample from each part, which all tested positive for presumptive blood.

Overall, she said these results showed that the blood samples in the townhome overwhelmingly matched Berreth's DNA.

As the last question of the day, Viehman asked how bleach can effect DNA.

Rogers said it destroys it to the point where it cannot be detected.

READ MORE: All Denver7 coverage on the killing of Kelsey Berreth, trial of Patrick Frazee

The trial will resume at 8:30 a.m. Thursday. Fourth Judicial District Attorney Dan May said he expects the prosecution will be able to wrap their witnesses Thursday. One witness, who will arrive in Colorado from out of state on Thursday morning, is their second-to-last witness, May said. At the latest, they will rest their case Friday morning, he said. Defense attorney Adam Stiegerwald said he also anticipates closing statements on Friday afternoon after their witnesses.

When Judge Sells asked how much time they'll need for closing statements, May said about 30 minutes for the prosecution and Stiegerwald said an hour for the defense.

Live tweeting and live reporting is not allowed in the courtroom, per a court decorum. The trial is expected to last three weeks.