Ember from construction work blamed for house fire in Lakewood

Posted at 8:51 AM, Nov 23, 2016

LAKEWOOD, Colo. -- A house fire is being blamed on an ember left smoldering after some construction work.

The fire on Garland Street, near Bonvue Park, in Lakewood was reported Wednesday at 5:31 a.m. by a neighbor who saw flames coming through the roof.

Firefighters with West Metro Fire told Denver7 some plumbers were soldering pipes on Tuesday. Apparently an ember got caught in the wall, smoldered overnight and ignited Wednesday morning.

West Metro Fire tweeted that there was no battery in the home's smoke detector.

One person and two pets in the house got out safely.

Damage is estimated at $75,000.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.