Hotel guests told to shelter in place due to gas line break in Greenwood Village

Posted at 10:22 PM, Feb 16, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-17 00:22:18-05

GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. – Guests at a hotel in Greenwood Village were told to shelter in place as crews worked on repairing a natural gas line break Thursday evening.

Residents in the new DoubleTree hotel in the area of Greenwood Plaza Boulevard north of Orchard Road were advised to shelter in place due to the strong smell of natural gas in the area, according to South Metro Fire Rescue spokesperson Eric Hurst.

But crews were concerned because they said the gas is building up in the storm drains and sewers, Hurts told Denver7.

Crews were also going into office buildings in the area making sure the levels were with safe limits for the buildings to operate.

South Metro Fire Rescue has 15 personnel on scene with five units helping to shut off the leak.

The two-inch natural gas line break was reported to authorities at around 7:24 p.m.

Greenwood Police, South Metro Fire and Xcel Energy are working together to fix the leak.

They have no estimate on when everything will be back to normal, Hurst said.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.