ARAPAHOE COUNTY, Colo. – There’s a new scam in town and deputies with the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office want you to remain vigilant in case you’re the target of these scammers.
In a Facebook post shared Wednesday evening, Arapahoe County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Chris Gulli said the department has been getting reports of scammers calling residents and saying they’ve been in an accident with your loved ones and that they are holding them until you get them money.
Gulli then offers these tips so that you don’t fall victim to these scammers:
- Stay on the phone with the scammer
- Have a friend call police
- After they have called police, have them call your family member to make sure he/she is safe
- Get as much information from the suspect as you can: Phone numbers, the places they want you to wire the money to, numbers or other contact information where you can reach them, as well as addresses.
- Report that information to your local authorities.
Gulli hopes that by following these tips you will be safe from these scammers and won't have to throw away money you could otherwise spend on gift this holiday season.
You can watch the video released by the Arapahoe Sheriff's Office below: