Body found in parking garage elevator may have been there for nearly a month

Neighbors say missing man fliers posted nearby
Posted at 7:45 PM, Aug 02, 2017

DENVER -- There are questions Wednesday night about how long a body, found in a parking garage elevator at Woodstream Village Apartments, had been there.

Authorities have yet to release the victim's ID, or cause of death, but Denver7 has learned that the victim, a male, may have been in the elevator for nearly a month.

Tenants said they noticed a stench in the hallway, and notified management at least two weeks ago. 

"It's pretty concerning that they would just kind of blow us off and it's turned out to be something so serious," said Keith Messina.

Another tenant, who declined to go on camera, told Denver7 that she had seen fliers about a missing elderly man posted in the neighborhood back in July.

Those fliers say the man disappeared on July 5.

If he's the one whose body was found in the elevator, it raises questions about why no one checked the elevator earlier.

Denver Police aren't saying where the body was found, but Denver Fire Capt. Greg Pixley said fire crews were conducting an inspection on nearby property, managed by the same company, when the property maintenance supervisor received a call about a body being found.

"He said he had to cancel the inspection," Pixley said. 

The fire crews asked if they could assist.

"As an emergency medical technician, all Denver Firefighters have the responsibility to provide emergency medical care, if they can. Unfortunately, in this circumstance, there was not that possibility."

Pixley said the garage elevator met the appropriate fire code standards for 2016 and had the appropriate permits for operation in 2017.

Tenants say the elevator wasn't working and that few people parked in the garage during summer months. If that's the case, it raises questions about why an elevator company wasn't called.

Denver7 reached out to Greystar, the company that manages 73 apartment communities in Metro Denver, but we have not heard back. When we do hear back from Greystar, or the Coroner, we will update this story.