2 arrested after driver found shot in head on Colfax

Posted at 12:58 PM, Feb 22, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-22 17:49:06-05

DENVER — Two people, an adult male and a juvenile male, were arrested early Sunday morning after a driver was found shot in the head on West Colfax Avenue late Saturday night.

Neshan Johnson, 18, and a juvenile male were taken into custody following a police pursuit and perimeter search. A third person, a juvenile male, was also taken into custody during the search but later released. Johnson was found hiding in a shed at 1547 West Byers with 16 live rounds of 22 caliber ammunition, according to a probable cause statement.

The two suspects are facing charges in connection with the Colfax shooting that left a 32-year-old woman in critical condition. Police found her in her Land Rover with a gunshot wound to the head. The SUV was in the third westbound lane of West Colfax at the Interstate 25 off ramp.

The victim was transported to Denver Health. Police stated in the documents that her prognosis is not good.

Police said Johnson and the juvenile suspect were in a stolen Honda sedan when they allegedly shot at the Land Rover around 10:45 p.m. Saturday night. Police found eight bullet defects in the SUV’s windshield, the documents state. A motive for the shooting was not disclosed in the probable cause statement.

The same stolen Honda was involved in a shooting at a Denver McDonalds the previous night. Two occupants in the Honda got out of the car in the drive through lane and began arguing with employees at the restaurant located at 2850 West Alameda Avenue. They shot three rounds into the restaurant before taking off, according to the probable cause statement. No one was injured.

About an hour after the Colfax shooting, police spotted the stolen Honda traveling north on Federal Boulevard near Exposition. Officers attempted to pull the car over when the driver of the Honda took off. Officers conducted a PIT maneuver on the vehicle in the area of West Byers Place and South Tejon Street. The suspects fled from the vehicle and were all taken into custody following a systematic perimeter search.

Johnson and the juvenile male are being held for investigation of attempted first degree murder.