LifestyleYour Health Matters


Franklin Middle School in Greeley closed for the rest of the week following norovirus outbreak

school desk - generic.jpeg
Posted at 7:47 PM, Feb 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-02-27 21:47:07-05

GREELEY, Colo. – Franklin Middle School in Greeley will be closed for the rest of the week following a norovirus outbreak on campus, school officials said Wednesday evening.

School officials said in a Facebook post that “a larger-than-usual” number of sick students was first reported last Friday, at which point the Weld County Health Department came in to assist Greeley-Evans School District 6 on what course of action to take next.

Cleaning crews from the school district came in to clean and disinfect the school over the weekend and have been doing so every night this week as well.

“However, more than 100 students were reported sick today with a number having to be sent home during the school day,” school officials said in the post, adding staff members were also affected by the outbreak.

Despite efforts to rid the school of the virus through extensive cleaning, Superintendent Dr. Deirdre Pilch said that the norovirus continues to impact a significant number of students and staff, which is why she has ordered for Franklin Middle School to be closed both Thursday and Friday, so those who are infected can recover and so that the spread of the virus can be stopped.

All after school activities were canceled Wednesday and there will be no after school activities or sports on Thursday and Friday, according to district officials.

Franklin Middle School will reopen Monday, March 4.

Norovirus is a very contagious virus that causes vomiting and diarrhea. It can spread from having direct contact with an infected person, consuming contaminated food or water, or touching contaminated surfaces and putting your unwashed hands in your mouth.

School officials said additional cleaning crews will work over the next few days to once again disinfect every surface in the building. Franklin Middle School staff will not be allowed inside the building during this time.