This article is the part of a monthly series of stories focused on cancer issues. Denver7 is proud to partner with the American Cancer Society, Cancer Support Community, Colorado Cancer Coalitionand Sarah Cannon Cancer Institute at HealthONEto bring you these stories, tips and resources.
This year, an estimated 1.8 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in the United States. In Colorado, an estimated 27,290 new cancer cases will be diagnosed in 2020. Investigators help make important advances in prevention, early detection, treatment and care for those with cancer. Since 1946, the American Cancer Society has invested more than $4.9 billion in cancer research. The ACS is proud to have helped more than 24,000 investigators.
The American Cancer Society is currently funding 16 multi-year cancer research grants in Colorado, totaling more thank $9.2 million.
There have been many important advancements in the fight against cancer through research. The American Cancer Society has been a part of some of those advances, including:
- Discovering that tumors need blood vessels to spread and grow, which then lead to the development of drugs that prevent the formation of blood vessels.
- Performing studies that paved the way for the development of Herceptin, a breast cancer drug.
- Laying the groundwork for a new treatment for multiple myeloma, Darzalex (daratumumab)
The Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE is actively enrolling patients in clinical trials to help investigators combat these diseases. If you are interested in participating in a clinical trial, contacting your doctor is the first step. The institute will coordinate with your doctor directly to see if you are a good fit for the trial. If you are eligible and choose to take part in a study, you may be able to receive new, cutting-edge treatment and help to improve the lives of future cancer patients.
At the Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE, you can expect:
- Experienced and personalized care from esteemed physicians and renowned leaders in cancer drug development
- Innovative cancer treatment options close to home in Denver
- Support from a passionate and caring team of medical professionals
- Clear and open communication about clinical trial options
- Personalized cancer treatment strategies through genomic tumor testing
- A newly renovated facility that includes a clinic, an infusion center, an investigational pharmacy, a lab processing area and office space
Visit this page for information on all currently available clinical trials with the Sarah Cannon Research Institute at HealthONE. You can also learn more by calling 720-754-2610.